- Interstate Highway 94 is located six miles north and Interstate Highway 90 is located 20 miles southwest of the city. USH 18, STH 26 and STH 89, and CTH J, CTH K, CTH N, and CTH W serve the City of Jefferson.
- There are three public use airports located within Jefferson County—Fort Atkinson Municipal, Palmyra Municipal, and Watertown Municipal. Jefferson is also served by the Dane County Regional Airport in Madison ,which is thirty miles southwest via Interstate Highway 94, Mitchell Field Airport in Milwaukee, which is sixty miles east via Interstate Highway 94, and O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, which is one hundred miles southeast via Interstate Highway 90.
- The Fort Atkinson Municipal Airport accommodates aircraft with 380.0 feet of paved, lighted runway with an instrument approach.
- The Watertown Municipal Airport is located approximately 14 miles north of Jefferson. The airport provides two hard-surface runways. The airport provides full aviation services to include fuel, maintenance, hangars, and tie-downs. Both Avfuel and Jet A are available. The airport is open seven days a week, and its unicom is 122.8. After hours, runway lighting is pilot-controlled.
- The Chicago and NorthWestern Company (C&NW) serve the City of Jefferson.
TAXI: Brown Cab Service (920) 563-9188; 735 Madison Avenue, Fort Atkinson, WI 53538
Current Fares (2021): Reg Adult $3.00; Senior or Disabled $2.00; Student $3.00; Nutrition Site $1.25; Extra Persons* $2.00; Extra Miles** $1.75; Stop En Route $2.00 Wait Time .10/min Child Under 6 FREE***
More ride information in Jefferson County can be found here.
Human Services and Elderly Services
The Jefferson County Human Services Department provides services to meet human needs in ways that strengthen the sense of social caring and responsibility between people. Human Services provides help so that county residents may live in as satisfying, healthy, and productive and independent a way as is possible. In times of crisis, people experience disabling feelings of fear, anger, loneliness or low self-esteem that will affect their family & friends, their job performance and their community.
ALTERNATIVE LIVING ARRANGEMENTS: Children’s Foster Homes (all licensed homes), Adult Family Homes (all licensed homes), Group Homes (all licensed homes)
DEVELOPMENTALLY DISABLED SERVICES
- Independent Living Skills (includes the teaching of the skills)
- Drop in center (available for recreational purposes)
- Referral (for medical, vocational, academic services, etc.)
- Sheltered Workshop (provides employment opportunities and experiences)
- Psychiatric Services (medication assessment and diagnosis)
- Counseling (provided for individuals and families, along with support groups)
LONG TERM SUPPORT/ELDERLY SERVICES
- Long Term Support Program
- COP-“Community Options Program” & CIP- “Community Integration Program are two of several state & federally funded Long Term Support Programs which offer information and financial assistance to persons with long term illnesses or disabilities who wish to live in their own home or other community setting instead of a nursing home).
- Elderly Services (provides services to individuals who are 60 years of age and older. These services include:
- congregate nutrition sites (Served daily-reserve by noon day before)
- home delivered meals
- information and referral
- chore service
- personal care worker
- foot care clinic
- benefit specialist.
- provides investigations of reported elderly abuse cases
Jefferson Senior Center for those who are homebound:
Call 920-675-0102. Cost is your affordable donation. Suggested donation $3.75.
DRUG AND ALCOHOL TREATMENT
- Community Education
- Intoxicated Driver Program
- Parent Aid Services
- Infant Development Center
- Protective Services (provides protection to children in danger of abuse and neglect. Reports of abuse and neglect are investigated within 12 hours, the caller may remain anonymous)
- Individual and family counseling
- Group Counseling
- Supervision Services (formal or informal supervision for the purpose of monitoring behavior and preventing continued delinquent activities)
- After Care Services (aids in transition from juvenile correctional facility to community by strengthening family ties and providing supervision)
- Psychiatry Services
- Family Support Program
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
- Crisis Intervention (a 24-hour telephone answering service with professional, on premise social work staff to provide services to individuals who are experiencing emergencies which are a threat to their life or well-being.)
- Individual, Group and Family Counseling
- Custody and Visitation Mediation
- Community Outreach
- Psychiatric Services
Eligibility for the following programs is based upon income and asset limits. To apply for assistance call 674-6200 and ask for the intake worker.
- Aid to families with Dependent Children
- Medical Assistance
- Healthy Start
- Food Stamps
- General Relief
- Fuel Assistance
- Day Care
There are different ways to volunteer at Human Services
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON ANY OF THE ABOVE AREAS, PLEASE CONTACT
Jefferson County Human Services
N3995 Annex Road
Jefferson, WI 53549